HVG Germany: Hopfen

Foundation of the HVG Hallertau 
Even If the abbreviation of the name and the cooperative orientation implied it - there was never a concrete link between the HVG and the "German Hop Trafficking Company". On the contrary. The founders of the HVG hastened not to let the mistrust in the cooperative idea, which occurred due to the DHVG bankruptcy, to rub off on its own institution. To this effect it was clearly pointed out that "this cooperative cannot be likened to the DHVG in any way". On the other hand it was no coincidence that the HNG foundation date fell in the year 1953 at the same time as the DHVG bankruptcy. On the one hand the bankruptcy left a vacuum which at last wanted to be filled by the foundation of a cooperative without all the prior encumbrance. Therefore at the invitation of the Hallertau Hop-Growers' Association a multitude of Hallertauer hop farmers, hop officials, regional and agricultural politicians met on 6th October 1953 in the crowded Mainburger Christlbräu and founded the "Hallertau Hop Processing Cooperative" (HVG) with its headquarters in Mainburg. Dr. Jakob Spitzauer (Munich-Gräfelfing) was elected President, Andreas Grabmair (Scheuerhof) Vice-President as well Michael Forstner (Freidlhof) as a further board member. Otto Höfter (Neuhausen) was nominated Chairman of the Supervisory Board, further Advisory Board members nominated were Sebastian Raith (Marzill) and Hans Bergermeier (Siegenburg).
According to the statutes the object of the company was above all intended to be the collective processing and utilisation of hops on an agency basis. "The cooperative primarily wants to strengthen the economic weaknesses through its business facilities and promote the intellectual and moral well-being of the members along the lines "All for one and one for all". Members could all be persons who were farming hops "in the Hallertau seal districts" or who generally wanted to "promote the sale of hops". They did not regard the cooperative at all as a competitor to the hop merchants but only wanted to appear as commission agents.
At the beginning proximity to government and politics was desired. To this effect they were pleased to enrole Dr. Alois Schlögl, the Bavarian Minister of Agriculture at the time as Member No. 1 in the list of members. This political proximity also had a definite reason: Without issuing a state loan guarantee to an adequate extent the new cooperative would have been a blunt sword right from the beginning. However, as it happened in the following months, to issue this loan there had to be a uniform appearance of all the existing hop cooperatives. Following the Hallertau example, HVGs had also been founded in the hop-growing districts of Spalt, Hersbruck and Rottenburg-Herrenberg-Weilderstadt (RHW); the hop cooperative Rhein-Palatinate had already existed since 1936. Therefore, at the beginning of 1954 under the patronage of the "Bavarian Commodities Agency" (BayWa) all cooperatives founded jointly the "Cooperative Hop Processing Headquarters" with its office in Nuremberg which existed up until 1971. Incidentally within the framework of this foundation this was the only concrete "successor" to the DHVG: The Hop Processing Headquarters took over the building and its equipment from their insolvency estate.